I love tomato bisque soup. The creaminess, the tangy tomato, the hint of fresh basil all work together to create a deeply satisfying dish. It can be a main meal with a little bread and salad on the side, or it can serve as a complement to a grilled cheese sandwich. This easy tomato bisque recipe comes together in minimal time and with minimal effort since it uses canned crushed tomatoes that don’t need to stew as long.
Red onions and garlic provide the rustic, savory flavor of this tomato bisque while fresh basil and heavy cream sweetens up all the tang from the tomato. For the chicken broth I highly recommend using homemade (try the broth from this recipe) since the flavor is so much better than store bought, though I also like Swanson’s brand canned chicken broth. Much as a I love Trader Joe’s their broths don’t taste very good to me, and a sub-par broth will really affect the flavor of this soup. For vegetarians, a high quality vegetable broth could be subbed.
Hope you enjoy! Recipe credit goes to the Shared Appetite blog but I had to save it for posterity here. It’s a keeper!
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth (homemade is best!)
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 bunch of basil, chopped
- Heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a large pot. Add the red onions and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and starting to turn golden, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute), stirring to avoid burning the garlic.
- Stir in the tomatoes and broth. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat to maintain a simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Add the basil and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender or using a handheld blender if you have one. Transfer the soup back to the pot and stir in the heavy cream. Simmer on low for about 10 minutes.
- Serve topped with a little chopped basil and Parmesan cheese if desired!