Calling all banana bread lovers! Instead of the usual chocolate chip situation, today we’re topping our muffins with a decadent cream cheese espresso frosting. Banana + cream cheese + espresso = a winning combination.
I made these on a rainy day, and their soft, banana-y goodness and perky espresso topping were the perfect cozy snack.
This is my go-to banana muffin recipe. It’s soft, whips up quickly and is packed with that banana flavor we all know and love. Make sure to use overripe bananas — it makes a big difference in flavor!
For the frosting I mixed cream cheese, powdered sugar, a little vanilla and some finely ground coffee from a Starbucks Via packet together, yielding a creamy frosting that wakes your taste buds right up. The espresso plays so well with the banana flavor. It’s a match!
This is an easy-to-make, quick and low-fuss treat that’s sure to be a party favorite. You can make a double batch if you’ve got a crowd to feed. If you’ve got them, sprinkle on a coffee bean or two for decoration!
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 overripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour or regular flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 Tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- ½ teaspoon finely ground coffee beans
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 or 2 Tablespoons milk, as needed to thin frosting
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners and spray them lightly with oil to prevent sticking.
- Beat bananas, eggs and sugar until the the mixture has no chunks. Add the oil and vanilla extract and beat until mixed. Gently add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix slowly till dough is smooth. Distribute the dough evenly into the 12 lined tins.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425, then reduce heat to 350 and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Once the muffins have fully cooled, prepare the frosting. Using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar and 1 Tablespoon of milk until smooth, Add remaining ingredients (including 1 more Tablespoon of milk if the frosting is too thick) and continue to beat for several minutes. Taste test and adjust with more powdered sugar or espresso as desired. Dollop some onto each muffin and spread.